Removing a software program like Norton Internet Security from your PC may seem like the simplest thing to do. You simply go to the Control Panel and click on Add/Remove Programs in Windows and then locate Norton Internet Security. And with one click of the mouse it's gone! Sadly, it's not that simple. And anyone who's attempted to remove Norton Internet Security completely can attest to the fact that it doesn't go easily.
Norton has a nasty habit of leaving behind some of its files in the registry at uninstallation. And no ordinary Windows uninstall feature will remove some of these files. These files can disturb some of your other software programs and cause your PC to be sluggish during use, whether you install another internet security software program or not.
There are a few tools that can help you remove Norton Internet Security. And the instructions below will help you remove it with the help of one of these tools:
Steps to remove Norton Internet Security
1. Go to Control Panel on your PC by going to the Start menu. You'll then find the Add/Remove Programs menu which you should click on. When the window opens, you should scroll down to the Norton link on the list and then click on it to remove it.
2. An uninstallation menu will appear which will guide you through the removal process of Norton.
3. You will then be prompted to restart your computer to complete the removal process of Norton.
4. When your PC has restarted, check that all the Norton icons have been removed from your desktop and under the Program Files menu under your Start menu. Delete any programs that you find that are associated with Norton.
5. Now you'll need the Norton Product Removal Tool to remove all the remaining files.
6. Download the removal tool from the Symantec site. You can find the site by searching on Google for "Norton removal tool."
7. Double-click its icon on your desktop if that's where you've saved it and permit it to run on your computer. After it has stopped running, you should restart your PC and it will now be completely free of Norton.
8. And you can remove the removal tool from the Control panel under the start menu.
Many people remove Norton Internet Security for a wide range of reasons. And one of the main reasons is that they want to install another program and no longer have need for it. And this is sometimes because they aren't satisfied with its capabilities and has been a resource hog, consuming memory and CPU resources.
Whatever reason has led you to remove it, make sure you replace it with another program to protect your PC. There are many to choose from and by reading reviews, you are sure to easily find the right one for your PC.